Monday, March 31, 2008
This dish is my favourite comfort food. My fondest memory serving this dish was back in November 2006 for a buka puasa session with my friends. This creamy pasta dish is very rich and extremely fattening (like i care..muahahaha), that even 1 forkful will ruin a whole month's diet. The past year, I had 3 lousy dieting attempts and I failed all miserably. The last attempt lasted only a few hours..seriously..only a couple of hours..I'm such a fat loser..huhu..
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Serves 3-4 people
about 1/3 package fettucine pasta
1 tbs butter
4 cloves of garlic, pounded until soft
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 fistful of chopped mushrooms (can either use fresh or canned)
1 1/2 tbps of plain flour + 2 tbps of water as thickening agent
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Bring a large pot of lightly oiled water to a boil. Add fettuccini and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente*; drain.
*al dente : cooked so as to be still firm when bitten.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Then add the garlic. You can already smell the delicious garlic butter aroma.
3. Stir in the cream cheese over medium heat until melted.
4. Once the cheese is already melted, add in the rest of the ingredients i.e. milk, mushrooms and chicken pieces. Let it simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Tip: What you want to put in the alfredo sauce is up to you. You also add in broccoli or seafood.
5. Add in salt and pepper for seasoning. Finally, mix together the flour and water in a small bowl and mix into the alfredo sauce. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
Tip: Do add salt with caution as the cream cheese is already salty.
6. Add pasta to sauce. Use enough of the pasta so that all of the sauce is used and the pasta is thoroughly coated. Serve immediately.
Let's just say this version is better that the TGIF restaurant version..betul..tak tipu..hehe..