I baked today..yay!! I wanted to make lasagne but I have lots of leftover uncooked macaroni, and so I used macaroni instead. This recipe has 3 basic steps: 1) cooking the pasta 2) cooking the meat sauce and 3) cooking the white sauce.
Printable Recipe Here
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: about 45 mins
Serves 6 people
For the pasta:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly oiled/buttered water to a boil. Add 300g macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Tip: Originally this is a lasagne recipe, but you can use any type of pasta.
For the meat sauce:
400g minced beef
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion
1 tsp oregano (2 tsps if you like the oregano favour)
3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
1 handful of mushrooms, sliced
1 (170g) can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 beef cubes
1 tbs tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
Oil for cooking
1. Prepare the ingredients. Blend the garlic and onion to a pulp. Rinse the minced beef.
2. Saute the garlic and onion until it is well cooked and fragrant. Then, add in the beef and cook until the beef is well-browned. Once the beef is cooked, add in the tomato paste, oregano, water, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce, sugar and beef cubes. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Tip: You can also add in any vegetables that you want e.g. carrots, red peppers, celery, cauliflower etc.
3. Once the beef sauce is cooked, leave it aside and let cool.
For the white sauce:
2 tbs butter
2 tbs plain flour
2 cups of milk
2/3 grated cheddar cheese
1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Then, mix in flour and stir constantly to avoid lumps.
2. Once the flour is well mixed with the butter, pour in milk and add the cheese.
3. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens.
Assembling the dish:
The meat sauce
the white sauce
lot of grated mozzarella cheese
1. Spread some of the meat sauce into a pan or dish. Cover with a layer of macaroni. Cover pasta with white sauce then sprinkle a little bit of the mozzarella cheese.
2. Repeat the above and finish with a layer of the meat sauce and sprinkle a generous amount of the mozzarella cheese on top.
3. Bake in 190C oven for about 20 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
This is dish's consistency is not as firm as the usual lasagne dish because I used lots of sauce. But it's still delicious, just the way I like it.