Thursday, August 14, 2008
Whole wheat Spaghetti with Tuna Sauce
I just realized there's a lot of delicious healthy recipes on the net and this is one of them. Indulgence without guilt. Perfect!!
Tuna, tomatoes and garlic make a rich and hearty pasta dish.
Spaghetti with tuna sauce
Printable Recipe Here
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 can tuna in olive oil
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red pepper, sliced
1/4 yellow pepper, sliced
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/2 can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (200ml hot water + 1/2 chicken granule)
juice of 1 lime
1/4 package whole wheat spaghetti
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, red pepper, yellow pepper, carrots and chopped garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are half cooked, about 1 1/2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher. Add broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the tuna to the sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Place the spaghetti on individual plates. Spoon the tuna sauce over the top and serve.