Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dark Chocolate Cake


Ta dah..Project No.1 of the week is done..hooray!!

Here's the recipe for my favourite dessert. I've been using this recipe for a couple of years now. So far, it never fail to impress. I've baked this cake for Hari Raya Open Houses, my office potluck parties, my mum's potluck parties, my dad's partner's husband birthday party, my after raya food package for my open room back during my uni days, my sister's food package, my friends and not to mention all those countless "I-am-so-depressed-and-feel-like-I-am-going-to-die-if-I-don't-eat-chocolate" times.

Printable Recipe here

Dark Chocolate Cake
(Adapted from Allrecipes)

Makes a tall 9 inch cake
Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

2 cups boiling water (sometimes I substitute with full cream milk)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 3/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
230g (1 cup) butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Line a 9 inch baking pan with baking paper.

2. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla essence.

4. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture until it looks like this.


5. Pour the chocolate cake mixture into the baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Allow to cool.

The cake is delicious on its own but for that extra chocolate zing, I prefer to top it with chocolate ganache.

Chocolate Ganache

Chocolate ganache is a simple mixture of chocolate and cream and I think is the most flexible chocolate decoration. This recipe is adapted from Joy of Baking.
You can either pour the shiny chocolate mixture onto a cake and you will get a smooth glossy topping for your cake. I made this one for my grandma. The glossy topping was nice but I think I need more work on my writing skills.hahaha..


Or once the mixture is cool, whip until it's light and fluffy and you'll get the most delicious chocolate frosting to cover your cake with.

Ingredients:

8 ounces (227 grams) semisweet chocolate, chop into small pieces
3/4 cup (180 ml) whipping cream

(Makes enough ganache to cover a 9 inch cake.)

Directions:

1. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.

2. Heat the cream in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and stir with a whisk until smooth and shiny.


To Cover the Cake:

1. Brush any loose crumbs from the cake and place cake on a wire rack. Put the wire rack on a baking sheet or a large tray. In this way if the ganache drips it will end up on the baking sheet or tray, which makes clean up easier.

2. Using a cake spatula, cover the sides and top of the cake with a little bit of the ganache and this will seals in any cake crumbs so that the cake will have a smooth finish. Refrigerate cake for 10 minutes to set the the ganache.

3. Then, spread the chocolate frosting onto the cake starting from the top and then smoothen it onto the sides of the cake.

It was 2 a.m in the morning and the frosting did not look as smooth as I thought it would be. So I drizzled the leftover ganache over the cake to cover the uneven parts. See how pretty the cake looks after the cosmetic change.


*drool*

I love chocolate.

3 comments:

musfirah said...

wah hebat. sangat menepati janji. harap tak bersawang lagi la blog awk ni ye.. go cik shu. yay!!

the Phat Baker said...

thank you! thank you! :)

ye..ye..pasni tak bersawang dah..hehe..

Kevin said...

That chocolate cake looks really good!