What I do know now is food photography is all about lighting. For example:-
This cupcake photo above was taken at night. I made them after I got back from work. I used the flash but the background becomes dark. So I had to rely on my kitchen fluorescent light. The photo is sufficient but blah..
To compare, see my pizza photo below. It was taken midday. The sun was shining. The birds were chirping. No flash needed. The details on the pizza is more vibrant and colourful.
Here are some of the blogs I count on to get it right:-
1. Food Photography tips by 101cookbooks.
2. Smitten Kitchen's Approach to Food Photos.
3. Photography on Simply Recipes.
4. Food Photography How-To's at Still Life With.
5. David Lebovitz's Photography Gear.