I love googling recipes from the internet. One day, I found the perfect pizza crust recipe from Allrecipes but on that day when I wanted to use it, I lost the recipe. So, I halfheartedly used a recipe from one of the cookbooks I found on the shelf. Little did I know, this is (for me at least) the best pizza crust recipe.
Recipe found in The Big Red Cookbook from Betty Crocker
Preparation time: 45 mins
Bake time: 10 mins
Makes 3 regular pizzas (6 slices each) or 2 large pizzas (8 slices each)
3 cups plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 ¼ tsps instant dry yeast
3 tbsps olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cup very warm water
1. Mix 1 cup of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. The, add in the vegetable oil and warm water. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add in the remaining flour little by little until the dough is soft and leaves sides of the bowl.
2. Place dough on a lightly flour surface and knead for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. (My tip to successful kneading: Just imagine the dough is the face of an annoying someone. This works for me..hehehe..)
3. Lightly oil the bowl and leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes until the dough double in size. Cover the bowl with a damp towel.
After4. Once the dough doubles in size, divide the dough into your preferred portions. (I divided mine into 3 portions. I store the other two in the fridge in separate plastic bags, lightly coated with oil. The dough can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.)
5. Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Place the dough on a pan that has been greased with a little bit of oil. This will prevent your pizza from sticking. Score the pizza dough several times with a fork so that it doesn't bubble when baked.
For Thin Crust:
6. Heat Oven to 220 degrees celcius. Partially bake for 8 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Then, spread pizza sauce, add toppings and bake for another 10 minutes until the crust begins to turn brown and the cheese develops dark spots.
For thick Crust:
7. Pat the rolled dough on the pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until almost double in size. Heat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Partially bake for 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown. Spread pizza sauce, add toppings and bake for a further 20 minutes until the crust begins to turn brown and the cheese develops dark spots.