Thursday, April 30, 2009

Homemade Mushroom Soup

The downside of having too much fun during the weekend is having to go to work the following day. Arriving home at 1 a.m in the morning is a bit depressing. Sometimes, I do wish I live in KL and I don't have to go on a 2 hour flight just to spend time with my friends. But that's life right? We cannot always get what we want.

Sheesh..Here I am, rambling about my life and the title of the post is mushroom soup. Well my point is, when feeling miserable in the morning after, a bowl of warm and soothing mushroom soup is all I need to make myself feel so much better.

I love mushroom soup. Back then, we'll have Campbell's for breakfast eaten with tosted bread and scramble eggs. And now, there is still nothing better than cream of mushroom soup. especially homemade mushroom soup which tastes more delicious than the canned ones. Even writing this post makes me crave for more. I think I'm going to have mushroom soup again tomorrow.


Homemade Mushroom Soup
adapted from Karen Cheng's Snippets of Life
Serves 3

Printable Recipe Here

Ingredients:
250g of button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 1/2 tbps of butter
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 small garlic clove, chopped finely
3 1/4 cups of homemade chicken stock or 3 1/4 cup water and 1 cube of chicken bullion
4 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp corn flour diluted in 1 tbsp of water (this is the thickening agent)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions;

1. Cook onion and garlic in butter, saute until brown. About 10 minutes.


2. Add mushrooms, cook until soft for 10-15 minutes.


3. Add chicken stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.


4. Stir in the cream and corn flour mixture.


5. Use a hand blender to blend the soup into a smooth consistency. (you can also use the normal blender or a food processor)

6. Eat while it's still hot with crusty or toasted bread.

No comments: