Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Kuih Putri Ayu

Aside from the pasar malam, another much loved food escapade is the trip to Pasar Ramadhan. This type of night market is only available during the Muslim fasting month and this month; all types of traditional malay sweet cakes that are seldom seen are sold in abundance. Putri Ayu is one of those sweet cakes. The words “Putri Ayu” when translated to English mean Petite Princess. (I think?!). The combination of the aromatic smell of pandan, sweet taste of the coconut milk and the slight saltiness of the grated coconut is heavenly.

Every fasting month, I automatically have an intense craving for putri ayu. Like an automatic switch..

Must eat putri ayu…
Must eat putri ayu…
Must eat putri ayu…

So weird!

I couldn’t find any during my Pasar Ramadhan venture here in Brunei. I was so glad when I found this recipe. It’s in one of my grandmother’s old recipe notebooks and I adapted it a bit. (I prefer to use less sugar)

Kuih Putri Ayu
Makes 32 pieces

Ingredients:

3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ovalette (can be substitute with any cake emulsifer)
¾ cup coconut milk
2 pandan leaves (also known as screwpine leaves) (cut into small pieces)
1 cup cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup fresh grated coconuts
1 tbsp cornflour
A pinch of salt
a few drops green colouring (optional) (I decided not to add in any colouring. So my putri ayu looks a little bit pale)


Directions:

1. Prepare your steamer. In a blender, add in the coconut milk and pandan and blend together for a few minutes. Sieve and extract the coconut milk pandan mixture. Set aside.

3. Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside. Mix the grated coconut with corn flour and salt. Set aside.

4. Beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. (it turns into a light yellow colored mixture)


6. Stir in coconut milk pandan mixture and the flour. Mix well. (If you decide to use the green colouring, now’s the time to add it in)

7. Lightly grease the moulds with a little cooking oil and put in about a teaspoonful of the grated coconut into each mould. Press firmly. (I'm using a silicon mould. But you can easily buy plastic moulds like what Naz Rinn Chan use in the local supermarket. I found some in SKH.)

8. Then, pour in the cake mixture into the moulds. Steam for 12 mins. (you must steam exactly 12 mins. An overcooked kuih is still yummy but not as soft)

No comments: