Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pumpkin Pie


My parents celebrated their 28th Wedding Anniversary last Sunday. We had a pretty nice and relaxing day. I made them yummy breakfast and as a treat, I baked them a pumpkin pie. My mum has been asking me to bake a pumpkin pie for quite a while and finally I got down baking one.

Pumpkin Pie
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
Makes a 10 inch pie.



Ingredients:

1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbps cold water (water must be ice cold!!)

Directions:

1. Mix butter, flour, and salt together until very crumbly. Add water and mix lightly until it forms a ball. Refrigerate until ready for use as I mentioned in my Apple Pie post, it's easier to work with cold dough.

Filling

Ingredients:

2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée (I bought a 2.2 kilo pumpkin and used only half. That's the smallest pumpkin I can find.)
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice

Note: The original recipe also uses 1/4 tsp each of ground ginger, cloves and cardamom but I didn’t have any of those. I also forgot to buy lemon but the pie tastes fine without lemon zest.

Directions:

1. Cut the pumpkin in half. Then, remove the seeds and cut into small pieces. Steam until the pumpkin is soft and mushy. Scoop out of the skin and blend until smooth. Measure 2 cups.


2. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Mix sugar, salt, spices and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin purée. Stir in cream. Whisk all together until well incorporated.


3. Prepare pie crust.

Tips:

Before you start rolling your dough, line plastic cling wrap onto the table so that it would be easier to lift the rolled dough. Light flour the top of the plastic cling wrap before rolling.





Once the dough is rolled out, lift the plastic cling wrap and gently align the pie dough onto the pie pan. Remove the plastic cling wrap. Press the dough gently onto the pan.





To make that pie crust edges design, just use your thumb and index finger as illustrated in the photo. To see more tips on decorating pie crust edges, have a look in recipetips.com.






4. Pour the filling into pie pan and bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 175 degrees Celsius. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.


5. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.


This is the first time I ever ate pumpkin pie. The texture is silky and velvety and the flavour is softly spiced. My parents loved the pie. So mission accomplished. Woohoo!!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

That pumpkin pie looks really good!

Shuhada Daud said...

thanks Kevin. :)