Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Vanilla Ice Cream


Yesterday was the 31st day of March. During my uni days, the 31st is my favourite day of the month. Wanna know why?

Baskin Robbins!!


Baskin Robbins has 31% discounts on all hand-packed ice creams every 31st day of the month except for August which is even better. Because our National Day falls on 31st August, the 31% discount is offered for 3 days (29th, 30th and 31st). Usually the counter is sardine packed and we waited for our ice cream for about 1 hour every time. But it was worth it.It was quite a nice indulgence and more fun because I get to share my favourite ice cream with my friends. So, to commemorate that yummy day, I'm posting an ice-cream recipe.

Making ice-cream without the ice cream maker is hard work. The custard making part was easy. But to ensure that my ice cream is smooth and creamy, I had to check my ice-cream and stir it vigorously every 1/2 hour for 3 hours straight. Fuh!! Fuh!! That's enough exercise for me. I must buy an ice-cream maker!!

Vanilla Ice Cream
Recipe Courtesy of Dad ~ Baker & Chef

Printable Recipe Here

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tsps Vanilla Extract (The recipe calls for vanilla bean but I didn't have any)
1 1/4 cups Milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar (The recipe use 6tbps but I thought the taste is a bit bland for my liking)
1 tsp corn flour
1 1/4 cups double cream

1. Heat the milk, vanilla extract in a saucepan. Once just barely simmering, remove from heat.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and corn-flour in a bowl until the mixture is thick and foamy. Gradually pour in the hot milk, stirring constantly.


3. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle hear, stirring all the time until the custard thickens.

Tip: You'll know the custard sufficiently thickens when it leaves a path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across.


4. When the custard thickens and is smooth, pour it back into the bowl. Cool it then chill.

5. Whip the cream until it has thickened but still falls from a spoon. Fold it into the cooled custard and pour into a plastic container and freeze.


6. After 45 mins, check and stir vigorously with a spatula. Stir until the frozen sides break up. Return back to the freezer. Repeat this process every 30 mins for about 3 hours.

No comments: