Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wedding Dessert Operation 4: Fruit Trifle

This is the final dessert contender for Amus's wedding. I made chocolate trifle the other weekend for my friends to taste and we unanimously agree that it's too chocolaty and I don't think the guests will appreciate something so rich and decadent at the end of the wedding banquet. Another point to consider is that my best friend's wedding will be held in Negeri Sembilan. And in Negeri Sembilan, they are known for their "gulai masak lemak cili padi" which is a dish cooked with coconut milk and lots of bird's eye chillies. (I am salivating just remembering how good Amus's mum's cooking is). So we thought, who would want to eat something so decadently creamy after such a spicy and heavy meal. Of course, I know I will be sad to see my dessert not eaten.

This fruit trifle is made of light sponge cake, custard cream, mixed tropical fruits and cool mango jelly. It's fresh and light and I think the guests will enjoy it more.


Tropical Fruit Trifle
Recipe inspired by Dad ~ Baker & Chef
Preparation time: 30 mins
Serves 5

Ingredients:

1 vanilla sponge/butter cake (I bought ready-made butter cake from the bakery)
Custard Cream (see recipe below)
1 can of mixed tropical fruits
1 packet of mango jelly


Custard Cream:
2 egg yolk (I had 2 leftover egg yolks. So I just added them in. If you don't have any, custard powder is sufficient)
2 tbsp custard powder
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence


Directions:

1. For the custard: Mix 1/4 cup milk, custard powder, sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl. Pour the rest of the milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. add in the custard mixture and whisk until the custard is cooked and thickens. Set aside to cool.


2. Cut the cake into pieces. Arrange half of the cake slices at the bottom of your serving dish. Pour the syrup of the canned fruits and allow to soak.


3. Pour the custard over the sponge cake.


4. Spread the fruits onto the custard.


5. Make the mango jelly according to the instruction on the box. Let the jelly cool for about 1 minute. Then, pour the jelly onto the fruits and custard. Put the trifle in the fridge until the jelly is set.

6. For decoration: You may use sweetened whipped cream and top with almonds or drizzle with chocolate. (I didn't have any of those but the trifle still tastes yummy!)

1 comment:

mubaraq ahmad said...

sungguh2 awk nk menjayakn operasi nih ek?!

amus patut teruja n overxcited!