Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Black and White Muffins (also a MJ post)



Update:

People must be sick of hearing news about Michael Jackson by now but I couldn't help it..hehe..

This is, in my honest opinion, the best MJ tribute ever. Must see!





It was surreal watching Michael Jackson's memorial on tv. So I thought..Michael Jackson is really dead. It was so sad especially after seeing his daughter's teary goodbye.



The news of his death was shocking. I grew up listening to his music. I remembered during my school outings, we played Thriller on the jukebox in McDonald's and laughed our heads off watching people's shocked expressions after hearing that evil laugh at the end of the song. Set aside his eccentricness and unusual lifestyle, he was, IMHO, the greatest entertainer in the world. The song "Black or White" is my all-time favourite. He made racial unity cool.



I wanted to do something in my own small way as a tribute to the King of Pop. So as an ode to my favourite Michael Jackson song, I made Black and White Muffins, a yummy combination of white chocolate and dark chocolate. My favourite flavours to commemorate the best artist that ever lived.


Black and White Muffins

Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Chip Muffin

Preparation Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 20 min
makes 20 muffins

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
3/4 cup superfine sugar
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the chocolate batter, make another batch following the above recipe but make changes as follows:

replace 3 tbps of flour with 3 tbps of cocoa powder
replace 3/4 cup of chopped white chocolate with 3/2 cup of dark chocolate
use only 1 tsp of vanilla essence

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Chop the chocolate.

2. Sift the 2 batches of dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into 2 different bowls.

3. Pour all the liquid ingredients into 2 other bowls.

4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. (Do not over-mix. A lumpy batter makes the best muffins)

5. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. (I used 2 ice cream scoops and spooned both batter together simultaneously side by side)

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are risen and springy.



Good bye the King of Pop. May you rest in peace.

I end this post with a cute MJ video, singing I want you back in 1970.


2 comments:

Shalala said...

Love this entry, and the muffins look yummy! Nak order for wedding doorgifts boleh ke hehehe

Thanis said...

Excellent Idea! Will be looking forward to using the double ice cream scoop trick with my muffins :)