Isn't it ironic that I blog more when I don't have internet at home and I blog less when I have already have broadband at home? It should be the other way around. I don't know why I'm so d**n lazy. All these internet technologies feels like homework to me. I have to update facebook..I have to update twitter..and my poor, poor blog..I think she is dying from neglect. And not to mention my friendster account..I think it's dead already..*sigh*
Anyhow, back to the challenge. I decided to bake Milan Cookies only. Nicole did mention I can either do both recipes or just choose one. I'm not in the mood to make my own marshmallows. Too much work..haha..
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand, from Food Network website
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 mins
Serves: about 18 cookies (I halved the recipe)
3 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
egg white from 2 large eggs
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoons lemon extract (I didn't have lemon extract so I used orange extract instead)
1 cup all purpose flour
• Cookie filling, recipe follows
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 4oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
• 1/2 orange, zested
1. Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl.
In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar.
2. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
4. With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread.
The first batch was very runny and the result was a disaster. I was cursing to myself thinking..here I am baking in the wee hours of the morning and aarrgghhh!!!
The recipe needs 3/4 cup flour but I added another 1/4 cup to make the batter thicker. Thank God that worked!!
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
6. Grate the orange zest.
7. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate.
add zest and blend well. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
July challenge done!! Hip Hip Hooray!!