Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Breaking fast with Chapati


Happy fasting everybody! It's Ramadhan once more. My favourite month of the year. I can improve myself spiritually. I can detox my body. Keep my body healthy. My diet is well on its way. And of course, breaking fast with yummy food.

I had chapati yesterday. I prefer breaking fast with simple food. Only occasionally we go out for buffets. Breaking fast with my family at home easting home cooked meal is what I love in Ramadhan.

Chapati

Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Makes 6 large chapatis

Ingredients:

2 cups flour (I usually use 1 cup wholemeal and 1 cup plain flour)
3/4 cup of boiling water
a splash of vegetable oil
pinch of salt

Directions:


1. Place flour in a bowl. Add in the boiling water, oil and salt and stir with as spatula. Once the dough cools a bit (not to hot to handle by hand), knead the dough.


2. Knead until the dough forms a firm ball.


3. Leave the dough to rest for 30 mins. Cover the bowl with a damp towel.


4. Then, divide the dough into 6 same size balls.


5. Sprinkle a little flour on the table and roll the dough a thin as possible.


6. Make sure the pan is hot and NOT oiled. Cook the chapati. You when it's ready when the chapati bubbles up (looks like a fluffy pillow).



7. Place the cooked chapatis under a damp towel to avoid it from drying. Eat it hot with spicy curry dhal.

I ate mine with my mum's special dhal made of chinese mustard green, beans, chilli, garlic and of course dhal cooked with ghee. Yum!

1 comment:

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com