Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eating Out @ Kaizen Sushi


I am adding this new section in my blog as you can see on the tab above. I don't always cook at home and what I love most about Brunei is that it has fantastic eating places. Most restaurants in bigger cities are big restaurant chains and I do love my fix of Subway or Burger King or Manhattan Fish Market every now and then, but there is something special about these small self-owned restaurants. Each of them bear the unique signature of their owners and Bruneians love to eat out so these restaurateurs must maintain the quality of their food in order to keep their regular customers, like me, happy. It's common knowledge that whenever my friends from Malaysia visit me, I don't really bring them on a Brunei sightseeing tour but more of an eat-until-you-drop tour. Trying out new restaurants is also a hobby of my sister and I. Whenever she's back in Brunei for the holidays, my waist expands...


The first restaurant to kick off my Eating out post is Kaizen Sushi. (My posts will not have a particular order of favouritism because I like all of them but I got inspired to start this section when I was eating at Kaizen Sushi.) This restaurant is the first Japanese restaurant in Brunei that I really like and it's located just behind my parents' office. It has a very cosy atmosphere and the pricing is quite ok. Usually for the four of us, it costs about B$50-B$80 depending on what we order. It gets more expensive if we order sashimi and the zen set. My dad loves to order both. If just sushi, then the price range is less than B$50.

Enough talk, here's what we ordered:

Edamame (young soybeans). My mum's favourite appetizer.


Enoki mushrooms with butter.

Chawan Mushi.

Tama Ebiko Sushi and Ebi Sushi

Soft Shell Crab Maki.

Grilled Salmon Zen Set
(comes with rice, pickled radish, chawan mushi, miso soup, cabbage salad, potato salad dan fruits)

My dad also ordered Sake Sushi. I forgot to take photos of those.

Spicy Kani Inari

California Temaki

This is how I like to eat my sushi. Topped with Gari (pickled ginger) and enoki mushrooms. My mouth is watering while I'm writing this. We usually finish off our meal with Green Tea Ice Cream but I had a sore throat at that time and didn't really feel like eating ice cream. Will share that later in another post.

For those who would like to try out Kaizen Sushi, you'll find the address and contact number in my Eating Out tab above. The restaurant is usually full during peak hours i.e. lunch and dinner and after pay day, so you might wanna call ahead to make reservations.

Phat Baker signing off.

No comments: