Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vanilla Flour Frosting


As much as I love cakes, I don't like the taste of buttercream frosting made with icing sugar and butter. It's too sweet. Makes my teeth hurt and makes my stomach bloat. I always scrap buttercream frosting off cakes when I eat them. For Amus's wedding cake back in 2009, I used Swiss Meringue Buttercream to frost the wedding cake. With egg whites added, it tasted like the lighter version of the original buttercream but I still scrap off the frosting. Gasp! My baker's heart ache when I thought of all the hard work I poured into making that frosting and in the end it got thrown away, but I really don't enjoy eating buttercream frosting. I prefer whipped cream but it has to be refridgerated all the time and in Malaysia's hot weather, using whipped cream on a wedding cake is disaster in the making.

I wanted a frosting that is light but creamy and holds its texture in warm weather and I thought my dream frosting doesn't exist until finally I found it. Pioneer Woman, I can't thank you enough.

This is buttercream frosting with a twist and it is also know as the Flour Frosting. At a glance, the recipe for this frosting seems weird and unconventional because it adds thick flour and milk mixture into the creamed butter and sugar. It also require more work when the flour milk mixture is lumpy (if you didn't not stir the mixture constantly, like me) and then you'll have to strain it to make it smooth. Or if you overmixed it, the frosting will separate as you can see here during my first attempt to make a cupcake bouquet.


 With this frosting, you'll have to practice. Please don't be discouraged.  The end result is worth all that. You will get a fabulously delicious frosting that tastes like whipped cream and miraculously holds it shape like the original buttercream frosting even when it's hot outside. My next successful batch of cupcake bouquet can attest to that. :)



Vanilla Frosting
Recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman

Makes enough to frost 24 medium cupcakes

Ingredients:

5 Tablespoons Flour 
1 cup Milk 
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Butter 
3/4 cup Caster Sugar (Not coarse sugar, not brown sugar, not icing sugar)



For those who hate to measure, here's some shortcut tips:-

1 small carton of milk equals to 250ml equals to 1 cup of milk.
1 block of butter equals to 227g butter equals to 1 cup of butter.

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk.

2. Turn on the heat to medium and continously stir until it thickens in order to avoid lumps. DO NOT STOP STIRRING.
Taking photo while stirring will result in lumpy mixture.

3. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Please make sure that the mixture is cooled complete or it will melt the butter. When it's cool, stir in vanilla.


Tips:

(a) To make the cooling process faster, I put the mixture in a stainless steel bowl, put it in the freezer for maybe 20-30 seconds. Take it out. Continue stirring. Repeat this process 2-3 times until it cools to room temperature.

(b) if the mixture is lumpy, please do not panic. Strain it and the mixture will be smooth again. And at the same time, the straining process will cool the mixture.Two tasks done in one go!

(c) Other than vanilla, you can also use other flavours.I've tried mint essence and it tasted perfectly yummy.

4. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy for approximately 7 minutes.

5. Then add the completely cooled flour mixture and continue beating until the frosting combines perfectly. It took me about 2-3 minutes. Just beat it until it resembles smooth whipped cream and looks pipeable. You can now add colouring if you like.


 And you are done! You will get the most perfect vanilla frosting, not too sweet, light to the taste and I promise you..you will never go back to other frosting recipes. This is it.

Ready for frosting!

More tips:


I find it easier to put frosting in the piping bag by assembling the piping bag onto a water container, like this:
Use the spatula to put the frosting into the plastic covered container. Less mess. Repeat the process to refill. 

Frosting ready for action.

Frost the cupcakes with the design of your choice.

Happy frosting!

12 comments:

Sana Hurzuk said...

I too hate buttercream and love whipped cream to death! unfortunately the weather here doesnt allow for it to last long. Do you think this frosting has a good consistency to frost a big cake. I have to make a sqaure cake with frosting and royal icing accents.

Shuhada Daud said...

Hi Sana. I have yet to use this frosting on a big cake but I plan to. When I did the cupcake bouquet, the weather outside was nearly 40 degrees and the frosting stays on.

rieyll said...

Shu, at which point nak letak colouring ek?

Azie Azizan::012-3457133 said...

salam...

hi shu...i did try that fosting once (yg ni without ur sepervision k) n Alhamdulillah it's turn out well....

thanks for sharing the recipe...love it so much.

take care

Rosie said...

Ohhh my I thought the person that came up with the flour frosting was nuts, I thought it would taste like raw flour paste, but I ran out of icing sugar and thought I would give it a try!!! Thank you! It's beautiful.
I didnt let the flour mix cool enough so my butter melted and separated! But still it tasted fabulous and I've had about 6 cup cakes today!
Just lovely thank you so much and those flowers look divine.. :)

leemz said...

I made it couple of months ago and it was a complete disaster. The flour flavour was over-powering. I threw the whole batch in the bin.

Gonna try it tomorrow again, insha Allah. I have my fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

I e got my sons birthday tomorrow and its very hot here in perth so its an early party, can you tefridgerate this mixture on over night and dress the cupcakes in the morning becauae i am so straped for time but want them to be beautiful

Anonymous said...

I love your frosting! Tried it today and it tasted great!

mala datta said...

Ho,

Tried this one...really really good...so well done for sharing...also am going to try and substitue cream cheese for butter...and see if it still stays!!

Anonymous said...

I made this for my daughter's birthday party cake yesterday... first time making it... and you are absolutely correct.... I will NEVER make another butter cream frosting again. This frosting is positively DIVINE... It tastes just like whipped cream but pipes and is as stable as butter cream ! My guests and I all loved it ! Thank-you so much for sharing !

kayla said...

I made it with half a cup of butter and half cup of peanut butter:) it was amazing!

kayla said...

I made it with half a cup of butter and half cup of peanut butter:) it was amazing!