Monday, April 11, 2011

Bulgogi


This is the star of my fabulous Korean Sunday lunch party. Delicious! Delicious!Delicious!

I actually didn't manage to take a proper photo of the grilled beef close-up. I forgot everything. Once the meat hit the grill, I'm done. Forgot I have to update my blog. When I do remember, everything was already digested in everybody's stomach. Photo taking opportunity gone. You'll notice all the photos of the grill are a little bit blurry. Ya! My hands was shaking, in anticipation of the shove-everything-in-my-mouth ceremony.My family try to limit our red meat intake to only once a month or only for special occasions for health reasons. So when I do get the chance to eat it, I'll enjoy every minute.

For in depth Korean Cuisine know-hows, I recommend Maangchi's Website. She has video tutorials on how to cook Korean food which is great and makes it easy to learn the techniques. In Brunei, some hard to find ingredients such as the Gochujang sauce can be bought at Guan Hock Lee in Batu Bersurat.

Other than the usual marinate ingredients like soy sauce, honey etc, the bulgogi recipe also include one Asian Pear. I bought this.





Bulgogi

Recipe courtesy of Maangchi

Serves 6 
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating Time: at least 4 hours


Ingredients:


1 kg tenderloin beef
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
12 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
1 pear
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoon of sesame oil
some toasted sesame seeds
Green Onions



Instructions:


1. Clean the beef. Slice thinly.


Tip: Put the beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes. The beef will firm up and it will make it easier for you to cut thin slices of beef. 



2. Chop the garlic, pear and onions into small pieces. Blend all ingredients except for sesame oil, sesame seed and green onions.


3. Mix the blended mixture with the beef.


4. Toast the sesame seeds until it turns golden brown.


5. Mix in the toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil.

6. Add green onions.

7. Mix well. Marinate for at least 4 hours or better, overnight.


8. Grill away.


Enjoy!

No comments: