This is my other favourite side dish, crunchy refreshing cold cucumber pickled in spicy and sweet rice vinegar dressing. It's also called Cucumber NaengGuk. You can taste that crunch when you put the bulgogi sangchussam in your mouth. Delicious! Alas, I can only eat red meat once a month, so no Bulgogi for me for the next 3 weeks... :(
Recipe adapted from Aeri's Kitchen
Aeri's Kitchen is another Korean Food Blog that I love. She also has video tutorials which a definite plus since Korean Cooking do require certain techniques.
3 tablespoons of sugar
For the dressing
6 tablespoon of rice vinegar
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of chili powder/flakes
1. Wash and towel dry the cucumbers. Cut into 4 large pieces, then cut in half and remove the seeds. (The seeds will make the dressing runny)
2. Cut horizontally into thin slices.
3. Mix with the 3 tablespoons of sugar and set aside for 45 minutes until the cucumber wilt.
4. In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the dressing.
5. After 45 minutes, mix in the dressing with the cucumber. Leave it in the fridge for at least one hour and then, it is read to be eaten.