Do you want to know what makes a good ice cream?
An expensive price doesn’t make it good. What flavour you put in will make a delicious ice cream. And what you pour on top will turn it into an extremely decadent ice cream. And even better, the most delicious ice cream will be the one you can make at home without even using an ice cream maker.
What I’m about to show you is my trade secret. I’m a Baskin Robbins fan. But sadly, there’s no Baskin Robbins in Brunei. What a girl to do? Improvise, of course.
Oreo Honeycomb Ice Cream
1 tub of your favourite vanilla ice cream
1 packet of oreo cookies
1 packet honeycomb chocolate
(You can use any other ingredients. The sky is the limit; Snickers, Mars chocolate, Mint chocolates, peanut butter chips, any kind of nuts, chocolate covered coffee beans, M&Ms, marshmallows, pralines, chocolate chips, bananas, mashed up leftover cheesecake etc. But do be carefully when you are using fruits. Just use a little bit. Fruits tend to let out their juices after a while and the juices will melt your ice cream. )
1. Take the ice cream out of the fridge and let it soften a bit.
2. Whack the honeycomb chocolate with a wooden spoon.
3. Crush the Oreo cookies into small pieces. Or you can also whack them with a wooden spoon.
4. Transfer the ice cream into a big bowl. Add in the crushed chocolate honeycomb.
5. Add in the crushed Oreo cookies.
6. Mix until all the cookies and chocolate are covered by the ice cream.
7. Transfer the ice cream back into its container and freeze until its firm, at least a couple of hours or preferably, overnight.
Now, THIS is a very yummy ice-cream. To turn it into an even more delicious dessert, here's the recipe for my favourite Chocolate Fudge Sauce.
Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Recipe taken from Betty Croaker Cookbook
This easy to make fudge sauce keeps well in the fridge for about 4 weeks. Not too sweet and it has a nice smooth texture. Best of all, it's main ingredient is evaporated milk which can be found easilly in small marts as opposed to heavy cream which is usually found only in the big hypermarts.
1 can evaporated milk (I used Ideal)
2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of raw sugar (or 1/3 cup of white sugar)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1. In a saucepan, add in sugar, chocolate chips and evaporated milk.
2. Turn on the stove to medium heat. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
3. Continue stirring until it reaches the boiling point. Remove from the heat.
4. Add in butter and vanilla essence.
5. Stir occasionally while the sauce cools down to room temperature.
6. Transfer the fudge sauce into a bowl and cover. The sauce will thicken nicely in the fridge.
Pour on top of your favourite ice cream. Here’s a close up view.
This may be the easiest dessert recipe but it comes with the best compliments. No cooking skills required! Just whip up your imagination and create your favourite version. Be creative. Have a go at it.