Taa Dah! Another easy no bake dessert.
Whenever there's potluck at the office or at someone's open house or birthday party, I can guarantee they will have fruit cocktail dessert served on the table, drenched in sweet cream or custard and/or topped with vanilla ice cream. Easy to make and clearly everyone's favourite.
Interestingly, thanks to Google, I got to know that there is a popular Filipino dessert called "Crema De Fruta" (it means Cream of Fruit) which has all the same basic ingredients but by adding biscuits into it, forms a very delicious and moist cake-like dessert.
So here's my version of the Crema De Fruta.
Crema De Fruta
inspired by Filipino Cooking
3/4 cup condensed milk (if you like a sweeter dessert, use 1 cup)
1 can Nestle Cream (or 1 cup whipping cream)
1 can of fruit cocktail (can be substituted with any other kind of canned fruit)
1 cup of the fruit cocktail syrup
Chocolate Marie Biscuits
1/2 teaspoon of agar-agar powder
Note: The original recipe uses graham biscuits but I find marie biscuits absorbs liquid better and still hold its shape.
1. I use a tin with removable base to make it easier for me to serve the dessert. You can also use a square container. Line the tin with clingwrap to avoid any spilling.
2. Mix the cream and condensed milk in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Drain the fruit cocktail. Set aside 1 cup of the syrup.
4. Arrange the biscuits on the bottom of the tin as many as possible.
5. Pour the cream mixture onto the biscuits just until the biscuits are covered. Repeat until you have two layers of biscuits. This will form the base.
6. Again, arrange the biscuits and pour the cream mixture. Now add the fruit cocktail on top of the cream mixture. Repeat until you have pour all the cream. Set aside.
8. Boil the syrup and 1/2 teaspoon of the agar-agar powder. Let it cool for a while. Then, slowly pour into the dessert.
9. Keep the dessert in the fridge preferably overnight to let the biscuits soak and absorb all that deliciousness. Here's what the dessert looks like the next day:-
Extremely delicious served cold. Enjoy!